Andrew Symonds against Indian Cricket Team

Enjoy! I am sure Symonds won’t like to watch this video ;-)

[See my previous post for a more detailed treatment]

Update: Some people have commented saying that this is in bad taste? What about the Aussie media?

Would Sunil Gavaskar have made 34 centuries had he been brought up by a fisherwoman?

A very distasteful article on Harbhajan’s background in Sydney Morning Herald

Also read GreatBong’s coverage.

G Rajaraman, who had asked Ponting the question that had provoked him, writes about it in his blog.

Peter Roebuck, the celebrated Australian cricket journalist, asks for Ponting’s scalp.

23 Responses to Andrew Symonds against Indian Cricket Team

1. Wayne Kerr says:

Racist arsehole

2. Pingback: Aus vs India 2007 - Page 6 - TeakDoor.com - The Thailand Forum

3. @wayne: Hello. Unfortunately, your (far more vituperative) words don’t affect me unlike the way certain individuals get affected by harmless simian allegories. And I will leave your comment here for the world to see how aggressive people become in defense.

4. Wayne Kerr says:

Sometimes I call a spade a fucking shovel. This is one of them. The video on your website reflects poorly on Indian cricket and all Indians for that matter. Australian cricket needs a decent challenge on the field, not one battled out in media conferences and post match slurs. It is obvious to all and sundry that the Indians don’t have what it takes. A few more years in the practice nets is clearly in order.

5. @wayne: And of course, your conduct and that of your captain in front of the Indian media doesn’t reflect very well on your country either. In fact, I think you need to go back to school and learn some manners.

Anyway, Indians are forgiving, and I will let this pass as well. As for a challenge, of course, if its 14 playing against 11, the ball game is entirely different. And it’s been that way for quite sometime for teams visiting Australia. These patterns point to a secret ingredient in the Aussies winning recipe, which is coming out in the open only now.

6. Frank Lee says:

This blog entry is popping up on many Aussie blogs and discussion boards. I am writing to express my disgust at the video and reference to Symonds. Grow up!

7. puresunshine says:

@wayne-Net practice. I agree. I think Mr Ponting should take lessons on cricket— How one should catch cleanly! He is a great teacher of moral values. Taking a grounded catch and pointing a finger to umpire, confirming its out, is something we Indians need to learn.

@kpower- Video rocks man!

8. @frank: I think it is somebody else who needs to grow up and not wail like a sissy. Who sledges how much is rather well known, and it is high time the Aussies subjected themselves to the same yardstick as the one they carry around for the rest of the world.

9. faruque says:

Sorry don’t get it, is there meant to be a point! If you are trying to say that Symonds is represented by the monkey (with its racist overtones) and the Indian Team, being cubs (immature lions), OK – but again the Monkey protected its territory and won – sounds an awful lot like real life to me. There are lots of points that could be made that actually support the person you are trying to embarrass.

I would suggest that you should have picked a better analogy.

So in summary, infantile at best and racist at worst. Not worth the effort to get upset at. I am sure that Symonds would be more thick skinned than the author tries to insinuate.

Nb: Pretty amusing doco – ignoring the message the author was trying to provide and failing.

10. GB says:

Good one !!…Aussies deserver this. While at it can we add some extras to show Bucknor and Benson !!

If people consider this racist, so be it. It’s no less racists than what was met out.

11. @faruque: Exactly. I don’t think you will ever understand what the spirit of the game is. Read Roebuck’s article in the Sydney Morning Herald.

12. faruque says:

Hi kpowerinfinity

Played plenty of cricket, certainly do know. Son plays and I have taught him manners, but also to accept and to not carry on. A point many of the bloggers seem to miss. Don’t make allegations that you have no facts on – about me -just makes you seem ignorant, which I am sure you are not!

I also read and agreed with the article by Roebuck, a very professional journalist. I did not raise the issues you are trying to introduce, note that I did not say anything to support the aussies or how they played, just the post.

and before you go onto the other line about convicts and anglo – not any of those either!

Thanks Have a good night.

13. faruque says:

A follow up. Picked up the blog because of people reporting it as racist, biassed etc. I think some people are a little to thin skinned, but so are many of the Indian fans.

Son plays in a junior high level competition that is taken very seriously, and the boys give their all. Even at a very early age the boys are taught to not give an inch to the opposition. They develop a very strong mind very early. Some teams use sledging, as a weapon – all kids are taught to deal with it and get on with playing.
    Indian teams will need to develop stronger minds, most teams will try to exploit this, as the aussies do. (And they are meant to be professionals who develop body and mind)

I think that the allegations of cheating and collusion by Aussies and Umpires is Conspiracy Theory at is most warped. The allegations also misrepresent the history of umpiring decisions around the world even with recent history. But certainly the Test would have been better as a draw, India copped most of the poor decisions in this Test!

The other issue is that most of the Indian players actually have poor techniques for aust conditions, will need to develop. Ponting actually has poor technique (too hard in the hands) to play top quality spinners on a turning wicket.

Maybe Indian cricket should send promising players to Australia for club cricket for a summer – would do them a world of good.

PS: Bottom line is calling a black man a monkey is accepted as racist throughout the world. Test is go up to a black guy and say it to his face. The response you would get would surprise you.

14. @faruque: Respect that. Playing hard is fine, but it has to be fair as well. While I agree with you that monkey might not be taken well there, it is one of the silly things that children say to each other in India. ‘Bastard’, ‘fucker’, and ‘arsehole’ is not — if you think back about the sledging that you talk about. In any case, you say yourself that kids in Aus develop a strong mind, then calling silly names should not make any difference to a burly man like Symonds. And yes, throughout the world that you talk about is a gross generalization, and it is wrong to assume cultures are the same all over.

What’s the biggest irritant is that the decision has been given based on one cricketer’s word against the other. It’s almost as if some cricketers are more equal than the others, and that is not something people around the world, especially in the Subcontinent are willing to accept.

The video above is in jest, and you should show it to an Indian and watch his face. The response you would get would surprise you.

Good night.

15. faruque says:

Hi Again, definitely going to bed after this.

Can understand racial vilification and evidence issue. We in aust have had it in our local aussie football and in rugby in relation to our aboriginal players. We have accepted that the reporting is necessary and that if a person raises the allegation that it will be treated very seriously. In aus much more acceptance to raising and reporting now – zero tolerance culture.

Certainly understand the Asian culture and the impact of swearing =esp’y in relation to family. Personalised sledging of that nature should be stamped out, but again a bastard and bugger aren’t that rude to aussies – cultural insensitivity.

Maybe cricketers need cultural sensitivity training. I know when I work OS, the first thing I do is get training in local custums and mores so that we do not disrespect our hosts.

I can understand sensitivity of equality, and hope that this inequality is not true. If it is evident certainly needs to be challenged and changed. Though a reflex allegation, can smack of reverse racism.

PS; I am sure that Symonds has heard worse from some ignorant biggots even here in Aust.

You also point out my gross generalisations, can accept that. Probably as too much effort to go through specific examples.

Had fun debating.

16. @faruque: Exactly, it is sad that we are fighting over such things instead of the game. As you rightly point out, we either become politicians and polish our language, or we play hard and fair, and take everything else in our stride. It is unfortunate that this was blown so out of proportions.

I enjoyed your comments too. Thanks.

17. Amyth says:

Attack is the best form of defense. The Aussies couldn’t have known better.

I don’t know how many of you watched “The Wonder Years” .. Kevin tells his sweetheart (whenever she lets out saliva while speaking):

“Don’t SPRAY it, SAY it!”

The Aussies seem to believe:

“If you can’t PLAY it, SAY it”

… or better still..

“If you can’t PLAY it, RUIN it, KILL it, SCREW IT — HELL YEAH!!”

18. Poonam says:

I am so glad to see some heart-burnt Aussie responses to your this blog post. I wonder why they are not tolerant when the getting only a taste of their own medicine.

Decisions on field and then subsequent allegations on Bhajji were certainly not example of sportsmanship on part of Aussies. I am forced to doubt their integrity and credibility as world winners.

Also, it was a shame to write such article about Harbhajan’s background. An example of mediocre, yellow journalism. Why do they not instead report the stats how Bhajji has been a pain-in-the-neck for Aussie batsman on field so far.

19. Haas says:

Dude… Personally I felt that this post was in bad taste. I dont give a damn what has happened and what inspired this outburst but like the old hindi saying goes “Throwing stones into sewage only makes it splash on you.”

I loved your last post and thought it drove the nail in perfectly. Then again maybe we may never agree on this post.

20. @haas: There is a thin line between jest and bad taste. In any case, this was written in the heat of the moment after the whole controversy started, an example of how people react to provocation, which our friend Bhajji will testify also.

Sometimes, when the sewage gets too dirty, you gotta get down and do something about it whether it makes you dirty or not … I could reply with this if I wanted to continue the argument, but I don’t think I will. There’s been enough yellow journalism in this issue, and let us put a stop to it.

21. Sandeep says:

Kpowerinfinity: Loved your honesty thru the blog. Shows your heart is in the right place, mate!

22. Beau Peep says:

It is nothing short of racism against Indians. Maybe, you would like you have a look on what I had to say and in the process help me out with a puzzle.

23. Kiran says:

Symonds is the biggest fool I have ever seen. He does not play the cricket as it has to be played. He is making heroes in the indian team. The more he behaves like a chimp towards the indian players the more IPL and other companies is going to credit money for the indian players, for now Haribajan, Sreshant and Ishant have become heroes and will be paid more for ads, i do not know how many more this big chimp is going to make.