“Jail College” in Chennai?

Found this post on the Zoho blog, and this is quite shocking. Engineering colleges around Chennai are witnessing extreme segregation of men and women, so much so that one student had to drop a year in college because he shook hands with a girl (why did the girl didn’t have to drop a year?). Nevertheless, I wonder what the real situation is like? Is it a little bit of media hype, or is the situation really so bad!

Watch this Times NOW footage:

9 Responses to “Jail College” in Chennai?

1. Anand says:

Hi KK,
    I have seen most of south India as I studied there. It is quite a truth that this type of events occur in reality. The conservative south indians who belong to the hardcore regions are still having quite orthodox thoughts and they do anything to preserve it (whether it be good/bad). Though I didn’t face many problems myself but I have seen people facing problems.
    It is RIDICULOUS and I still don’t understand that how can any government/academic agency of India bear with it.

2. mbchandar says:

In south, especially tamil nadu, it happens. colleges follow that way by separating guys and girls. for this they could have separate college for guys and for girls.

it could be true.
    i know few colleges which are very strict in this case is sathyabama engg.

3. puresunshine says:

Cant view this now but i know in chennai its very difficult for single girls to even find accommodation. people are so damn conservative. Did u see the Stephen’s development today? The acting principal says if girls and boys stay together in the hostel, then they wud have to start a maternity ward next door! Sheesh! what kinda principal!

4. apratim says:

hi KK

heard about your new venture … all the best buddy … make us proud! :)

as for the post … I just wanted to share a story i heard from a friend from Chennai

In one such college they actually cut down all the trees to prevent ‘couples’ from sitting underneath …

now THAT is just incredible … I wonder where all the so-called ‘environmental activists’ were when such a travesty occurred …

neway buddy keep up the good work!

5. @apratim: Thanks buddy :)

6. manowar says:

THIS IS TRUE!!! I AGREE WITH U TOTALLY!!! SOUTH INDIANS, ESPECIALLY TAMILIANS ARE THE MOST BACKWARD, PRIMITIVE, CHEAP, LOW-CLASS,UNCIVILIZED,UNCULTURED PEOPLE IN THE WORLD.. THEY SUCK..

7. manowar says:

LIKE, BOYS TALKING TO GIRLS N VICE VERSA IS A NATURAL THING!! HOW CAN THEY PREVENT N SEGREGATE? THATS THE CHEAPEST THINGG!!! EVEN AFRICAN TRIBALS WILL BE MORE CIVILIZED THAN THIS!!!

8. manowar says:

THE SAD THING IS THAT MANY PARENTS THINK THAT THIS IS A GUD THING!!! CUZ THEY SUCK SO MUCH!!! THEY DESERVE TO ROT IN HELL!

9. RAAAJ says:

hi do u know that panimalar engineering also vvvvveeeeerrrryyyy strict.when a guy just shown hi to her,for that he got beats from attenders(allakai)and also he is suspended for ten days.
    please do some for us plzzzz