Co-incidences

Was browsing orkut, when suddenly I remembered one of the wierdest co-incidences that has happened to me. This was 2 years back — we had just finished one of the theater sessions in Bangalore and chilling at a coffee joints, and as it often happens when there are enough people and few topics, the discussion happened to meander towards the topic of birthdays. It was one of those early classes, and I was very enthusiastic, and immediately gave a shout with mine. Suddenly, the girl next to me told hers, and (yes you guessed it right) her birthday was on the same day, same year!

All this while, the guy on the other side, had been cut-off from the conversation since we had been talking about relatively boring things, or perhaps busy talking to his girlfriend. Suddenly, he decided to pop in, and this was really wierd, the most unbelievable thing to have happened to me — he was born on the same day, albeit in a different year! Three people sitting in a row sharing the same birthday. How many times has it happened to you?

What is the wierdest such thing that has happened to you?

14 Responses to Co-incidences

1. suman says:

Is it 2 years aleady? btw, whose were those 3 guys?

2. Hash says:

Thats pretty cool… Was I there? Coz this sounds familiar, I think the girl was Vineeta, wasnt it? Cant remember the guy though :P

3. @hash: Vineeta and Sandy (my batch). You were around I think!

4. Poonam says:

What! this is not weird. THis is quite common in the country with explosive population. Probability fo finding someone born on same day as you is v high. :)

5. Yes, but 3 of them somehow happen to sit together in a straight line … that’s quite a bit of co-incidence!

6. T says:

Happy B’day :)

as regards the co-incidence
    freaky: yes.
    unbelievable: no..stranger things have known to happen ;)

p.s. the probabilty of you sharing a birthday with two random ppl next to u is (1/365)^2 ..close to 1 in a lakh..and unlike some ppl wud like to believe, it has absolutely nothing to do wid the fact that our country has more than a billion ppl

7. Dawn says:

The probability of 3 or more people sharing the same birthday is not that low as people imagine. In particular in a set of 23 people there is a 0.5 probability that 2 or more people share the same birthday and in a set of 88 people there is 0.5 probability that 3 or more people share the same birthday.
    Other values for the 0.5 mark : (P. Diaconis and F. Mosteller, Methods of studying coincidences, J. Amer. Statist. Assoc. 84 (1989) 853-861. ) http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/A014088

Considering the fact that friend group size was less in this case (6-10?) the probability of three sharing a birthday is lesser but still not astronomically small ( damn regularized hypergeometric functions . I miss mathematica).

I think innately we “search” for coincidences.

In my case some day during 3rd year?
    ticket to home (booked by me) S6/66
    return ticket(booked at home) S6/66
    Total Upload in DCPP : 666 GB
    Weight :P 66 kg

8. Amyth says:

Haha! :D … Naaice..

A simimlar wierd thing happened to me was when I was crashing overnight at a friends place. My friend, who stores all contacts in his mobile phone along with the DOB in the display name, had gone to the loo when his phone started ringing. I picked up the fone and saw the name format – NAME 04-Jan – Needless to say, I decided to pick up the phone and include this in our conversation! ;) …. In any case, this person was repeatedly calling my friend and so I thought I should pick it up anyway! ;)

9. Sunny Somani says:

In my extended family, there’s a guy named Sunny Somani who was born on the same darned day as me! Just a different year, thankfully :P

10. yes, and the probability that 3 out of 10 people will share birthday on the same day is even lower!

@amyth: nice!!

@sunny: dude … thats unbelievable!

11. Dawn says:

:D not to come out as obsessive :P but for 3 or more people out of 10 to share a birthday the probability is

~ 0.000887745 which is around 1 in 1100 :)

And I so completely missed wishing you a happy birthday in the middle of all this :D

Many many happy returns of the day :D

[ thanks to Mathematica ]

12. SGhosh says:

Well birthday co-incidences are very much common.I just felt this is a day to day life application of the popular pigeonhole principle in mathematics.Many popular co-incidences are explained by the same principle quite often too. :D

13. Dev says:

Me and Sandy(Sandeep Prabhakara) were born on the same day … I am 12hrs elder to him … I had seen back side of his id card in first year and then I was shocked to see the date and was wondering how come my id card came to his room … and then later on we got the same hall/wing and we were neighbors …

14. @dev: Man, that sure is a co-incidence.